… and Row, Row, Row Your Boat isn’t one of them.
I thought, for fun, I’d share with you my all time favorite top 10 boating songs… So, without further ado, here they are in reverse order:
10. Six Months in a Leaky Boat by Split Enz
9. Sail Away by Enya
8. Captain of Her Heart by Double
7. Brandy by Looking Glass
6. Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald by Gordon Lightfoot
5. Sailing by Christopher Cross
4. Dock of the Bay by Otis Redding
3. The Last Farewell by Roger Whittaker (yes, that’s right)
2. Southern Cross by Crosby, Stills and Nash
and the winner is!!! …
1. La Mer by Charles Trenet. And I’ve included a link to the winning song, in case you’re not familiar with it…La Mer
I would like to qualify this list by saying that not all songs were chosen based on their artistic merit. Some I included for nostalgic reasons. For example, I had to include Six Months in a Leaky Boat after seeing Split Enz perform the song live in concert – they were so energetic (and dressed like sailors!). How could I not?
Anyway, that’s me … what are your top 10?